On The Night of the Arts, Thursday 25 August, the museum offers free admission from 6-10 pm. Welcome!

By water

Icelandic artists on the shores of Finland

AMOS REX IS COMING!

Come and photograph a friend with the Amos Rex neon sign in Lasipalatsi Square.

SEE PHOTOS

DIVE IN, TAKE Photos AND SHARE

#amosrex

Construction work began at the start of 2016. The new museum will open in spring 2018.

IN THE SUMMER AMOS ANDERSON ART MUSEUM EXTENDS TO SÖDERLÅNGVIK

Amos Anderson Söderlångvik

Söderlångvik Museum is art museum and a museum dedicated to the life of Amos Anderson (1878–1961) housed in his former summer villa, and scenically located in a sheltered cove on the island of Kimito. The museum contains part of Anderson's private art collection, library and furnishings.

Söderlångvik

Amos Anderson Art Museum is a privately owned museum in the centre of Helsinki

yrjonkatu

Located in the Forum city block, the art museum is housed in a building Amos Anderson (1878–1961) had had built for himself in 1913. The building was posthumously converted into a museum. Amos Anderson Art Museum is known for its diverse and versatile exhibition programme and for its extensive collection of modern art.

Yrjönkatu

Our collections hold approximately 6000 works

Amos Anderson Art Museum holds one of the largest privately owned collections of art in Finland. Our collections hold approximately 6000 works, mainly paintings, sculptures, drawings, prints and photographs. Sigurd Frosterus’s (1876–1956) art collection, owned by a Foundation that carries his name, has been permanently deposited at the Amos Anderson Art Museum since 1994.

Get to know our collections

We are located in the centre of Helsinki, behind the Forum complex.

In the summer season we also operate in Söderlångvik on the island of Kimito.

Temporary exhibitions, collections and Amos’s home museum on Yrjönkatu.

Amos Anderson had two sides to his personality: by day he was a determined businessman, and by night a sensitive and sociable patron of the arts.

Amos Anderson

Amos Anderson (1878–1961) began his career as a businessman and industrialist in Helsinki in the early 1900s. He founded finance magazines, an advertising agency and a printing press. Before long Amos Anderson became the biggest entrepreneur in Finnish lithography, and bought the Swedish-language daily Hufvudstadsbladet and the evening paper Svenska Pressen.

In 1913, he had a residence-cum-office block built for himself in Yrjönkatu, the same building that today houses the Amos Anderson Art Museum. In the 1920s, he already owned a large part of the area now known as Forum.

Amos Anderson was also a politician and his social circle included Presidents P.E. Svinhufvud and Kyösti Kallio. In 1940 Anderson donated Tamminiemi Villa in Meilahti to the Finnish State to serve as the official residence of the acting President of the Republic of Finland.

Anderson was a life-long patron of a wide range of artistic endeavours; he funded the repairs of the Swedish theatre, made a substantial contribution towards the building of Kunsthalle Helsinki, and numerous University of Åbo Akademi -led projects were funded through his donations.

In 1940 Amos Anderson set up the Association Föreningen Konstsamfundet and named it the sole beneficiary to his will. In accordance with his wishes Föreningen Konstsamfundet maintains an art museum that carries his name and a museum in Söderlångvik, his former summer residence.

Tutustu Amos Andersoniin
Amos Anderson in the company of Heidi Elmgren and Thea Oljelund in September 1956.
Amos Anderson ja Presidentti Urho Kekkonen Amoksen 80-vuotispäivänä.